Hey friends: In 2018, I’m planning to occasionally spotlight a “song of the day.”
For each song I spotlight, I will write a brief description of the song and my reaction to it. The songs will not necessarily be my favorite songs, but they will generally be songs that I like. I will try to select a wide variety of songs to cross-section my taste in music. Accompanying write-ups will vary from a couple sentences to a few paragraphs.
For each song I will plan to embed a YouTube video of the song so you can listen while you read. In addition, I will plan to update the Spotify playlist lower on this page to include every song I highlight that is available. I won’t “sticky” every song spotlight to the top of the front page, but I will keep this page stickied.
Important rule: I will limit picks to one song per artist, and not necessarily my favorite song for each artist.
Yes, I know the Top 100 Everything remains incomplete, as are plenty of other long-term writing projects I’ve embarked on I had hoped to finish it before the end of 2017, but didn’t quite get there. Maybe someday.
- STATMYALTIYCHBBITGSOAT: Song that, at the moment you are listening to it, you can’t help but believe it’s the greatest song of all time
- TPOFUTYUOIT: The paradox of feeling utterly timeless, yet undeniably of its time
Songs of the Day
I will periodically update this list to include every song I spotlight.
- January 1: “This Will Be Our Year” by The Zombies
- January 2: “I Don’t Care” by Fall Out Boy
- January 3: “Gold Trans Am” by Kesha
- January 4: “Won’t Get Fooled Again” by The Who
- January 5: “Oblivion” by Grimes
- January 6: “My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue)” by Neil Young
- January 7: “What You Do To Me” by Teenage Fanclub
- January 8: “Shine” by The Newsboys
- January 9: “Black or White” by Michael Jackson
- January 10: “No Rain” by Blind Melon
- Music From My Favorite Shows
- January 11: “Forever” by Chris Brown (The Office)
- January 12: “Big Brown Eyes” by Old 97’s (Ned’s Declassified School Survival Guide)
- January 13: “Somewhere Out There” from An American Tail (Community)
- January 14: “Only You” by Yazoo (The Office UK)
- January 15: “Classical Gas” by Mason Williams (The Simpsons)
- January 16: “La Vie en rose” by Édith Piaf (How I Met Your Mother)